Mini Project: Beer Cap Flag

0 0
Read Time:1 Minute, 17 Second

We collect beer caps, I have no idea why. On a rainy day in 2016 we got them out. The kids and I created a Beer Cap American flag with them on the floor.

Oh say can you see?

It actually turned out really cool so we decided to hot glue them to some scrap corrugated roofing. I had this left over from another project. We hung it up outside and the glue made it a whole 2-3 days before the summer heat caused the caps to start falling off.

The colors were kind of washed out by the shiny background anyway. So we started over.

I painted a sheet of plywood black and cut some broken hockey sticks (which I also collect) to make a frame. These were screwed to the plywood. A side note, if you’re forced to choose between collecting beer caps and broken hockey sticks, I’ve found you can make FAR more useful things out of broken hockey sticks.

Then we just laid out the pattern again and poured some epoxy resin over top. This being my first experience using this much epoxy, I didn’t realize I would be spending the next hour or so using a toothpick to push the beer caps back down and coax the air bubbles out from underneath them….it worked out. Two pours would have fixed this issue. A shallow pour to lock them all in place, the second pour to cover them.

….and the rockets red glare!!!

This beauty now hangs in our basement.

About Post Author

MyEndless

Husband, Dad, Engineer and Saw Dust Aficionado
Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %

Average Rating

5 Star
0%
4 Star
0%
3 Star
0%
2 Star
0%
1 Star
0%

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: